In the case of an absence, student(s) must bring a note from a parent/guardian explaining the absence to the designated attendance office within three (3) days of their return. Absences due to illness or injury lasting 5 days or longer must be excused via a note from a doctor.
Absences will be excused for:
- Illness or injury
- Death in the Family
- Court Appearances
- School Sponsored activities
- Students are NOT considered absent if they are participating in authorized school activities such as:
- A scheduled appointment with counselor
- Treatment in health room
- Student council related activity
- School sports activities
- Field trips, etc.
- Participation in educational programs organized and sponsored by a recognized institution of learning, for which prior approval was obtained (i.e. college visits).
- Emergencies deemed legitimate by the principal
- Suspension from school
- Student in good standing may apply for administration-approved leave. (See Student Eligibility)
Excessive Excused Absences
- 30 total unexcused class meetings will result in the first warning letter.
- 60 total unexcused class meeting will result in the second warning letter.
- If deemed necessary, a team meeting will be called.
- Habitually truant students will be referred to family court.
- 5 tardies equals one absence
- Students who miss 50% or more of a class will be considered absent (unexcused).
Roles of Student
- Students will report to every class on time and ready to work.
- Students will give teachers advanced notice of school sponsored activities and follow proper school sponsored activities protocol, including but not limited to, teacher approval and the proper signing of ALL required forms.
- In case of excused absences, students agree to submit notes written by the parent/guardian within three days of their return.
- Students are responsible for initiating the makeup work process and must complete the work in a timely manner as agreed upon with the teacher.
- The student will receive an “F” or “0” for missed assignments if they do not request make up work by the next class period after his/her return or if a student does not complete the make up work within the time designated by the teacher.
- If necessary, students will follow the attendance action plan set forth by their counselor.
- Students should attend all scheduled meetings with counselors and other school officials.
Roles of Family
- Ensure your child arrives to school on time and communicate any transportation challenges to the school within a timely manner.
- If families want to request a leave of absence for a family trip, prior administrative permission is needed at least two weeks in advance.
- For up to five days of leave, permission will be granted if the student is passing CEPA, has a 2.75 GPA, has a 95% attendance record and no suspensions.
- For up to 10 days of leave, permission will be granted if the student is passing CEPA, has a 3.25 GPA, has a 95% attendance record and no suspensions.
- Families will provide doctor notes for excused absences within three days of return.
- If possible, schedule all appointments outside the school day.
- If necessary, families will ensure their student follows the attendance action plan set forth by the counselor.
- Families will attend all called meetings.
Roles of School
- Take accurate and timely attendance.
- Teachers will provide opportunities for make up work when students have an excused absence, However, the responsibility for making use of this opportunity rests with the student.
- Each teacher’s make up work policy must be included in their syllabus
- Teachers are strongly encouraged to develop a classroom procedure in which tardies affect grades.
- Teachers may also assign detention for tardies.
- Teachers should contact families prior to first warning letter.
- Counselors shall review weekly attendance reports and schedule appointments with challenged students and notify families of the meeting and outcome.
- In meeting with students, counselors must form an attendance action plan for students with attendance issues.
- After 30 total unexcused class meetings, grade level level counselors will initiate the first warning letter.
- After 60 total unexcused class meetings, the Academic Attendance Advisor will initiate the second warning letter.
- The Academic Attendance Advisor will initiate all court petitions for school non attendance.